THE OPEN HOUSE AT THE OLD TOWN HALL WAS ON SATURDAY, MARCH 8 NOON AT 1 PM. CONTACT THE BOARD OF SELECTMEN FOR INFORMATION ON REPAIR SCHEDULE.
NEED COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS BEFORE GRADUATION? THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER AND FALL BRUSH CLEANUP ON THE LOT WILL CONTINUE. FOR VOLUNTEER HOURS, CONTACT THE BOARD OF SELECTMEN OR KEN MATTHEWS. THE NEW BEACH IS OPEN DAWN TO DUSK. NO LIFEGUARD ON DUTY.
Originally settled as Campbell’s Gore and incorporated as the town of Windsor in 1798, New Hampshire’s smallest town south of the White Mountains is located in Hillsborough County. Our community center is nestled among scenic mountains to the west of Hillsboro, south of Washington, east of Stoddard, and north of Antrim in a quiet area among the high hills once known as an early colonial farming and milling community.
Outdoors enthusiasts frequent our heavily wooded 5,000+ acreage to scout the streams and ponds. It is common to watch cow moose with calf in the backyard and to sit on the front porch while a grazing flock of wild turkeys enjoy the evening sunset. Easing into 2014 fox and coyotes are preparing for mating season while the black bears are still hibernating with sure anticipation of bird feeder filching.
Seasonal residents attracted by nearby state parks Pillsbury, Fox and Manahan soon ferret out nearby annual attractions. Many enjoy the fall Balloon Festival in Hillsboro, the ice fishing derby in Washington, and the drive-in movies in Milford.
Camping is a long Windsor tradition beginning 1917 in the location of the Wediko Children’s Services Summer Program, and later in 1961 by Windsor Mountain International. Although the Holiday Trail and Holiday Highlands camps are cherished photographs in yellowed albums, new generations of young campers are creating memories at Windsor Hills Camp and Retreat Center.
Not much has changed in the last 50 years. Because of its remote location the population of Windsor has seldom exceeded 200 residents. In the 1978 publication A History of Windsor, New Hampshire the Windsor Historical Committee recalled several instances of 65 or less inhabitants and a local newspaper as late as 1960 declared the population as 172.
In 1920 our last schoolhouse, a simple one-room building on White Pond Road Extension closed. The building was reincarnated as the Town Hall in 1938. However time and the novelty of outdoor facilities finally took its toll and a community barn raising in 1998 replaced the Hall with the modest, clapboard building located on White Pond Road.